The Dentist's Reputation
You will want to choose a local dentist that has a great rapport with their patients. Speak with your friends and family or look at online reviews to get to know the dentist better.
You may also contact your local or provincial dental society for a list of practicing dentists in your area.
Your Level of Comfort
It is incredibly important that you choose a dentist that you feel comfortable with. You may want to consider some of the following during your first visit:
- Do they take the time to listen to you as you explain symptoms and ask questions?
- Do you have fears or anxieties you’d be comfortable expressing?
- Do they effectively answer your questions about the procedures you’ll need?
- Does the dentist seem to hear and understand your concerns?
The Services They Offer
When choosing a dentist you will want to make sure that they offer the services that you and your family will need. Do the dentists you are considering offer comprehensive services, including preventive, restorative and cosmetic treatments? What about emergency care?
If you or a family member has a specific oral health issue, choosing a dentist who specializes in that area may be useful.
Office Hours & Location
- Is your new dentist close to home or work?
- How about public transit?
- If you drive, is parking convenient?
- Are there hours convenient for you?
Will the office and dental team be able to handle any accommodations that you may require during your visit? From physical accessibility to dental sedation services, this is an important aspect of comprehensive dental care.
The cost of the services you receive will vary depending on the dentist and clinic itself as well as the physical location and treatments needed.
- Does your dentist follow the current Dental Association Fee Guide for your province?
- Do they accept your insurance and can they file your insurance claim electronically?
- Are there multiple payment options (personal checks, credit cards, interest-free payment plans)?
While your health is the most important factor, money is also an issue. Don’t hesitate to ask for an estimate for any procedures. Our administrative team is always here to address any questions or concerns you may have.
Does the office offer a dedicated scheduling system to handle appointment bookings as well as rescheduling and cancellations?
Is the dental office clean and orderly? Are the receptionists/administrative team welcoming?
Can you visit before making your first appointment to help you make a final decision? We are happy to have patients visit Robie Street Dental Centre at a pre-scheduled time so you can get to know our office. We are proud of our friendly team and clean, organized environment. We look forward to answering any questions you may have.
The Dentist's Values
When it comes to choosing a dentist, it’s also important to confirm that your new dentist has the same values you do. Talk to the dentist to learn about his or her approach to their dentist-patient relationships, and whether you two would be a good match.
Our Team in Halifax Would Be Happy to Meet You!
We always welcome new patients at our dental office and would love to give you a tour. If you are looking for a new dentist in Halifax, we hope you’ll consider us!